The Oyo State Government on Friday confirmed five cases of Lassa fever, with one death recorded in the state.
The government assured residents that emergency response measures had been activated to contain the outbreak and prevent further spread.
The Commissioner for Health, Dr Oluwaserimi Ajetunmobi, disclosed this during a press briefing in Ibadan.
She said confirmed cases are currently being managed at designated isolation and treatment facilities, including the Infectious Disease Centre in Olodo and the University College Hospital isolation unit.
Ajetunmobi stated, “The State Government wishes to confirm five cases of Lassa fever outbreak, with one death.
“The government promptly activated its emergency response framework, initiating a coordinated multi-sectoral intervention in line with national guidelines from the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention and global standards set by the World Health Organisation.”
She explained that the Incident Management System and Emergency Operations Centre had been activated, alongside a multi-sectoral response team involving health, environment, agriculture and information officials.
According to her, surveillance has been intensified, with active case searches ongoing and more than 200 contacts already identified and being monitored.
The commissioner added that isolation centres had been operationalised, essential drugs such as Ribavirin prepositioned, and infection prevention measures strengthened with the provision of protective equipment and safe burial protocols.
She said environmental sanitation, fumigation and decontamination of affected areas were ongoing, while healthcare workers continued to receive training.
Ajetunmobi urged residents to observe preventive measures and report suspected cases promptly, as other officials also called for public cooperation to support containment efforts.
